7/26/2011

Blizzcon 2011 Costume Progress - GO!

It's that time again! I've been rather slow to get going on this year's costume, but progress photos should trickle in steadily from now on. Let the Blizzcon 2011 costume progress updates begin!

One of the costumes I will be wearing this year is part of the Burlesque/Steampunk group for day two. I chose to do a burlesque-ified Tyrande Whisperwind.

The design to the left was made near the beginning of the year, when the group initially started brainstorming on the Cosplay.com forums. I based it on the artwork featured on one of the loading screens added in Cataclysm (I believe the art itself is by Wei Wang).
So far I've only got the corset patterned/half put together and the top draped.

The corset pattern I used is from
Katafalk's blog. Her tutorial has specific instructions on how to create your own custom underbust corset pattern using only your measurements, a ruler, writing utensil, and some math. It's pretty snazzy, and extremely useful for those of us who are too lazy to draft our own patterns. Ahem.

It did take me two attempts to get the pattern correct, but that was most likely due to my poor math skills than anything else.
The top I draped from scratch, which took tome trial and error, and I think it should turn out well with the actual fabric.

Transitioning from the top to the skirt should prove interesting, as I plan to avoid a seam along the underbust.

I started sculpting the jewelry and gems this evening, and am planning to do a better job of casting this year. I learned a lot last time around, and sprung for a silicone mold kit to help make the process a bit easier.

I'm using Apoxie Sculpt because a prop maker I greatly admire, Volpin Props, uses it. The clay is workable for two to three hours, sandable once it's dry, and can adhere to just about anything. I am looking forward to seeing how well the clay does with a mold. I'll just have to wait and see for myself how it fares with being sanded and covered in silicone.

No comments:

Post a Comment